New report from The Guardian: Is ALEC in decline?
ALEC facing funding crisis from donor exodus in wake of Trayvon Martin
• Rightwing lobby group appealing to major donors to return
• Internal documents reveal
so-called ‘Prodigal Son Project’
• Network lost almost 400 state legislators over past two years
From The Center for Media and Democracy:
North Carolina Republicans have introduced a major overhaul of the state’s election system, adding dozens of amendments to a voter ID bill that will authorize voter vigilantes, end election day registration, cut early voting, make it harder to register, and even create loony protections against “zombie voters.” Read more…
“I don’t want everybody to vote. . .”
See also A Brief History: ALEC’s Formation, Growth, and Transformation, from ALEC Watch.
Ask state lawmakers to resign from ALEC
Progress NC has launched a new petition:
Be it resolved that:
- North Carolina should be governed according to the best interests of its people,not national business interests or ideological agendas.
- Our state’s laws should be created by North Carolinians in response to NC’s actual challenges, not issues created by those hoping to profit from them.
- Our government policies should not be manipulated and used as tools for boosting private sector revenue streams at the expense of our state’s citizens.
In short, the American Legislative Exchange Council has no business shaping and setting North Carolina’s laws!
Shining sunlight on a secretive lobby group in North Carolina
Nancy MacLean, PhD, provides historical background on the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and warns of the dangers of its influence in North Carolina:
What ALEC and the companies that provide it with millions in operating funds seek is, in effect, a slow-motion corporate takeover of our democracy, first in the states where its party controls both the legislature and the governorship, as in North Carolina. But once its bills to suppress voter turnout take effect, the ultimate prize is to transform our entire country.”